Weekly Success Tips
Words of wisdom for this week.
“Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.”
~ Reggie Leach
Many people go through their lives, relationships and careers in auto-pilot. Being in auto-pilot is when we make decisions, take actions, and respond to outside stimuli unconsciously or automatically without conscious thinking. These responses or actions are generally performed out of learned, conditioned or repeated beliefs, attitudes, values or re-actions. When people go through life in this way, they miss most of the color, beauty, excitement, joy and happiness of being alive.
For some people living this way, sort of emotionally detached, is easier and less stressful. But what you sacrifice on one hand you also may lose on the other hand. Life is filled with trade-offs. So live your days in auto-pilot and you are guaranteed to lose much of the adventure of life.
Life is lived one moment at a time in the present. When we react unconsciously, we turn the power over the quality of our life to past experiences, other people’s expectations, remarks or deeds, or whatever we feel is beyond our control.
People who live one moment at a time have more fun, accomplish more, learn more, and generally enjoy the experience of life. People who spend most of their time in auto-pilot are always wishing, hoping and dreaming that life and people would be different.
So, how do you get out of auto-pilot or living life unconsciously?
- Accept the reality of life. It isn’t perfect. It isn’t all good or bad. It just is.
- Spend time observing nature.
- Relax. You can’t have it all, do it all, see it all, experience it all, or learn it all in one lifetime.
- Be where you are when you are there, not somewhere else.
- Be with whom you are with when you are with them, not with someone else.
- Learn to see life through the eyes of an explorer, not a victim.
- Recognize that nothing in-and-of-itself is positive or negative. It just is. And it often becomes what we choose to see.
- No one can make you feel, act or think how he wants you to feel, act or think. You have total control over your own emotions, feelings, thoughts and attitudes. All you have to do is exercise it.
How are you doing today? Living most of your life’s moments in auto-pilot, or are you basking in the sunshine of every sunset, problem, experience, failure, success, achievement, risk, emotion and feeling as it crosses your path – breathing it in – whether it seems negative or positive?